Many times we read an obituary and at the end read ” in lieu of flowers” please donate to….”. Just for a moment, I would like you to pause and consider flowers. Floral tributes offer warmth and convey caring thoughts. Furthermore, “the bereavement process is a pivotal time when worry, anxiety, and many sad emotions are present,” Compelling research shows that the presence of flowers make a positive impact on people’s emotional well-being, Flowers are a critical part of the bereavement process.” Please send comfort with flowers and then make your donation.
An excerpt from SAF
Harvard Research: Flowers are the Perfect Pick-Me-Up to Boost Morning Moods
Research confirms that flowers might be the perfect pick-me-up for millions of Americans who do not consider themselves “morning people.” Participants of a behavioral study conducted by researchers at Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital confirmed that they feel least positive in the early hours but reported being happier and more energetic after looking at flowers first thing in the morning.
“The morning blahs, it turns out, is a real phenomenon, with positive moods – happiness, friendliness and warmth, for example – manifesting much later in the day,” says lead researcher Nancy Etcoff, Ph.D. “Interestingly, when we placed a small bouquet of flowers into their morning routines, people perked up.”
Dr. Etcoff is referencing the fact that participants in the study responded to the flowers, which had been placed in rooms they frequented in the morning. Overall, the participants reported they liked to look at the blooms first thing in the morning, particularly in the kitchen. The final study results demonstrate that flowers impact people emotionally at home, causing them to feel less anxious and more compassionate. They even reported a boost of energy that lasted through their day.
“What I find interesting is that by starting the day in a more positive mood, you are likely to transfer those happier feelings to others – it’s what is called mood contagion,” says Etcoff. “And, the kitchen is the place where families tend to gather in the morning – imagine how big a difference a better morning mood can make.”
Tips to Stress Less
Want to know how to relax and unwind? The Society of American Florists provides these easy tips on how to stress less:
Tips to Stress Less
- Experience flowers: Walk into your local flower shop and take a look around. Just the sight and smell of the natural beauty of flowers will put you at ease. Ask your florist to show you what’s in the cooler so you can learn about new varieties, colors and design styles.
- Color your world: Color therapists say colors really do affect our moods. The happiest color? Orange. It promotes optimism, enthusiasm, and a sense of uplift. Choose orange flowers — roses, gerberas, lilies, ranunculus, alstroemeria, tulips — to put on your kitchen counter or your desk, and see your mood soar.
- Find peace: If you are having a bad day when it seems like nothing is going right, try flowers in soothing, tranquil colors, such as blues, lavenders and pale greens. Place a small arrangement on your nightstand or in your bathroom, so you can experience the stress relieving benefits of flowers right before you go to bed, and right when you get up to start your day.
- Give yourself some joy: One great way to reconnect with joy and feel less stressed is to surround yourself with simple things that make you feel happy and loved, like a colorful bunch of flowers or a blooming plant. Flowers have the power to open hearts, and when your heart is open you are more likely to focus on the positive points in your day.
- Pepper your house with small doses of calm: When bringing home flowers from your florist, have a couple of small vases and containers available so you can place a few flowers in different parts of your living space. You’ll be amazed how many small arrangements you can get out of a single bunch of flowers, and you’ll have constant reminders to ‘stop and smell the flowers.’
- Be a friend: Do you have a friend or loved one who could use a boost? Have flowers delivered unexpectedly to their door, and watch their ordinary day become extraordinary. It will make you smile, too.
- Help others: Sometimes the best way to relieve stress and the pressures of the day, is to do something nice for someone else. Here’s an idea: Go to your florist and buy two bouquets. Keep one for yourself, then take the other bouquet and “petal it forward” to a stranger on the street. You’ll be amazed at the reaction to your random act of kindness.
By Society of American Florists
- Welcome gifts for out-of-town guests and members of the bridal parties.
- Thank you gifts for those people who make the bride and groom’s day special.
- Rehearsal dinner and wedding brunch décor.
- Decorations for the wedding transportation.
- Floating arrangements for ponds or pools.
- Accessories for the bride’s hair, in some cases replacing the more traditional veil.
At the Ceremony
- Adorn the ceremony entrance with flower-filled urns that can later be moved to the reception.
- Use flowers and candlelight at different levels to give dimension to design.
- Use a single rose to mark the seats of both the groom’s and the bride’s mothers.
- Attach flower petals to a large ribbon for an elegant decoration piece.
At the Reception
- Garland the center of the head table with flowers, foliage and votive candles.
- Use the bridesmaids’ bouquets to create lavish buffet table decorations or to surround the cake.
- Have your florist create guest table centerpieces with 4-5 separate clusters of flowers so that each couple can take a part of the centerpiece home.
- Float large fragrant flowers, such as open roses or gardenias, in crystal containers with votive candles.
- Sprinkle rose petals on the cake table and walkways.
- Have the toss bouquet double as a cake top.
- Decorate goblets and cake knives with flowers.
- Use a cake plate with a mound of flowers on it as a centerpiece.
- Use roses to make a dome at the top of a glass bowl filled with pretty rocks, and place a wreath around the bowl to highlight it.
- Toss rose petals instead of rice as the bride and groom leave.
ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST located at 670 Washington st, S. Easton, has received an Award of Quality Achievement from BloomNet®, one of the floral industry’s leading wire service providers. The award, which is part of BloomNet’s Florist Quality Care Program, recognizes ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST for superior quality floral products and excellence in customer service.
“We are honored to be named by BloomNet as a florist that is totally committed to quality in everything we do,” said Rick & Frank, owners of ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST. “Providing the freshest and most beautiful hand designed floral arrangements…and making sure each and every customer is 100% satisfied…is our passion. Being recognized with this prestigious award underscores that passion.”
The BloomNet Florist Quality Care Program was developed with extensive input from florists throughout the country as well as through the expertise of a Quality Care Board consisting of highly successful florists representing more than 200 years of experience in the floral industry. The Program is monitored by florists and it includes stringent quality and performance standards that must be continually maintained in order to be considered for Award recognition.
Among the Program’s criteria are: using only the highest quality fresh flowers in all orders; employing well-trained and skilled design and sales personnel; providing the highest levels of service and responsiveness to customers; and always striving to assure that outgoing and incoming floral wire orders are fulfilled to the complete satisfaction of each customer and recipient.
“Perhaps nothing else can convey the kind of emotion and caring personal feelings that flowers can,” continued Rick & Frank. “Everyone at ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST considers it a privilege to serve our customers, to satisfy their floral needs with the finest arrangements, and work closely with them to help touch the hearts of special people in their lives. To be recognized by BloomNet as a local florist who does all of that exceptionally well is very rewarding.”
Prom season is here and at Especially Yours Florist all our corsages and boutonnieres are custom designed to match the dresses and tux’s. Please try to bring in a swatch of fabric so we can match up flowers and ribbons to set off the color and style of the dress. Feel free to spend a few moments with our designers so we can give you that special look! Here is an example of current trends in wristlets. Please visit us at www.especiallyyoursflorist.com to see more.
I just came across the following article on a floral website and thought it was a timely post that I could share. It was written by Jenny Scala on a SAF blog.
The first day of school is a milestone no matter what grade your student is entering. On the big day, you’ll snap photos of them clutching a new backpack and wearing new school clothes before sending him or her off. You’ll proudly share those photos, post them on Facebook, and look back at them fondly in years to come. The first day of school can be both a time of excitement and trepidation for your child who has a new teacher, new classmates and a new routine.
Start the day with a fun, memorable tradition — give flowers to your child. Flowers are a great way to celebrate the milestone, and can help ease those first day jitters and send your student off with a smile. Research proves being around flowers makes you happier and more energetic, especially after looking at them first thing in the morning. Who wouldn’t want those good feelings on the first day of school?
As you’re back to school shopping, call your us at 508-238-9858 or visit especiallyyoursflorist.com. and place an order for your favorite student. Here are suggestions on floral gifts appropriate for your kindergartener up to college-bound student:
Kindergarten through Early Elementary School student: A single flower will make your young student smile and feel extra special on their first day of school. You can even dress up the flowers in their favorite characters, like these Sesame Street carnations.
WE DELIVER FLOWERS LOCAL AND WORLDWIDE!
CALL US AT 508-238-9858 OR VISIT US AT
ORDER FLOWERS TODAY!!!
ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST
Wins BloomNet® Award for Top Quality
ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST has received an Award of Quality Achievement from BloomNet®, one of the floral industry’s leading wire service providers. The award, which is part of BloomNet’s Florist Quality Care Program, recognizes ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST for superior quality floral products and excellence in customer service.
“We are honored to be named by BloomNet as a florist that is totally committed to quality in everything we do,” said Frank & Rick, owners of ESPECIALLY YOURS FLORIST. “Providing the freshest and most beautiful hand designed floral arrangements…and making sure each and every customer is 100% satisfied…is our passion. Being recognized with this prestigious award underscores that passion.”
The BloomNet Florist Quality Care Program was developed with extensive input from florists throughout the country as well as through the expertise of a Quality Care Board consisting of highly successful florists representing more than 200 years of experience in the floral